How To Read a Gucci Serial Number?
We all know that nothing can make a beautiful woman look even prettier and lovelier than a stylish handbag, especially one made by Gucci. Choosing a bag for yourself or as a gift for someone special is quite an exciting process by itself. However, since Gucci is very popular you should beware of buying a fake one. And one of the most reliable ways to authenticate a Gucci bag is to check its serial number and learn how to read it.
Where Can I Find a Gucci Serial Number?
First of all, you need to find a serial number tag inside of a bag. This tag is rectangular, made of leather and is usually sewn on the top or located near zippers and never on the sides of the bag. The serial number itself is located on the opposite side of a tag.
What Do Gucci Serial Numbers Mean?
A Gucci serial number is a sequence of 10 to 13 figures, usually in two rows. The first row usually indicates the style code/number and the second line shows the supplier code.
In a Gucci bag a serial number serves as a way of protection and insurance for costumers to make sure they have their original stylish and good looking bags. It is like an ID or a passport only for bags. Besides, it makes it much harder for forgers to manufacture counterfeit bags.
How To Spot A Fake Gucci Serial Number?
Replicas that can be found on the market, especially on the Internet, look quite good and it would be useful to know some tips about Gucci serial numbers to save yourself from counterfeits.
Now when we know where tags are located, let's examine the serial number tag in more detail and practice discovering fakes.
- First, have a closer look at the front part of the tag: there should be a heat stamp with three lines of words. The first line is a trademark symbol: the letter 'R' inside of a circle, just like this one - ®.
- Under the trademark symbol, there is the brand name GUCCI in uppercase letters. Letters G and C in the Gucci logo are very round and look like an unfinished letter O.
- The third line says 'made in Italy'. All letters should be of the same size and lowercase with equal spacing between letters (if you see a handbag where letters and spacing are substandard - it is definitely a fake).
- The serial number is located on the opposite side of a tag. Throughout the years of production Gucci has been using different sequences of figures for their serial numbers; these days the most common one is two rows of numbers one under the other with the total number varying from 10 to 13. As mentioned, the first row usually indicates the style code/number; it is also written on a bag’s price tag. And the second line of numbers shows the supplier code. On small leather goods, the Gucci serial number doesn't have two rows, it is divided by a dot instead: the sequence of figures before the dot shows the style code, after the dot - the supplier code.
But it is important to remember that, since not all bags are unique, serial numbers are not completely unique as well. And you can meet other authentic accessories with the same serial numbers.
Do Old Gucci Bags Have Serial Numbers?
Some people who want to buy vintage Gucci bags or have them and want to check their serial numbers can be surprised to find that old handbag don't have these serial numbers at all. Does it mean that they are all fakes? Actually, it doesn't.
The truth is that rectangular leather tags with right angles and serial numbers on the opposite side (which you saw in the pictures above) which are so widespread right now first appeared only in the 1990s.
The bags produced before the 1980s usually had no numbers. There are also some vintage handbags, manufactured between 1979 and 1983, which had round tags with gold lettering or badges. On vintage bags beside the logo and the embossing "'MADE IN ITALY' which can be in uppercase you can see the beautiful Gucci's knight crest.
Moreover, the first line of serial numbers may also contain dashes or dots but never letters. And the trademark symbol can be missing.
Still not sure if your Gucci bag is real? We can help you! At Bagaholic, we provide authentication for a $10 fee. If you need to authenticate a Gucci item, please order one of the three types of authentication:
Verbal Authentication $10
- good when you need a certificate for any reason,
Certificate of Authenticity $25
- good when you need a certificate for any reason, either to sell the bag with the peace of mind or to return a fake bag to the seller if you purchased a fake
- includes a permanent certificate on lvbagaholic.com
Certificate of Authenticity with a thorough explanation $50
- good when you need a certificate and you need to know why the bag is authentic/not authentic for any reason, either to sell the bag with the peace of mind or return a fake bag to the seller if you purchased a fake.
- includes a permanent certificate on lvbagaholic.com
- includes an explanation of why the item is fake (detailed pictures and comparisons with an authentic bag, more than 10 pics included)
PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW
Loved the article?
Follow us on social networks to read other useful and interesting information!
Bagaholic YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkltmNVxyBlfuZc3-eOGfzA
Want More Information About Gucci?
Need To Authenticate a Gucci Bag?
If you're purchasing a Gucci Bamboo bag preloved, it's important to check if it's real or fake.
At Bagaholic, we've had over 10 years of hands-on experience with authentic Gucci items. Our mission is to protect buyers of secondhand designer bags, as we understand how close counterfeiters are getting to copying real Gucci bags.
To order Gucci authentication services, select one of the services below: