How To Clean Your White Luxury Handbag and Make Sure It Stays White
White leather handbags are one of the most favorite women accessories in summer. However, white bags are more demanding in terms of care - they get stained quickly, and on a white surface, these stains are much more noticeable than on dark material. Owners of white purses have asked this question at least once in their life: “My white bag has turned yellow, what to do?” In this article, we are going to tell you how to clean your white luxury handbag and make sure it stays white.
Are White Leather Handbags Hard to Keep Clean?
Handbags made of white leather require special care. Wipe your purse at least once a month, using a soft cloth and shampoo. After that, apply cream and wipe it with a woolen cloth. In fact, if you take timely measures to protect the newly purchased accessory, you can remove almost all types of stains from your bag. So, to begin with, after buying a new handbag, treat it with special water-repellent products that are designed for leather care and are sold in specialized stores. That can help you avoid many problems in the future.
How Do You Keep White Leather From Turning Yellow?
Do not just thoughtlessly apply the first tip you looked up on the Internet to remove the dirt. This can only ruin your purse for life.
What you need to consider first:
- It is important to choose the right solution for stain removal, that is, in accordance with the degree and nature of the stains. Otherwise, it can become even worse.
- The use of too aggressive chemicals on white leather is unacceptable (gasoline, cleaning powder, acetone). Don’t use hard brushes, coarse or scratchy fabrics as they can damage the leather.
- Moisturize your white handbag after cleaning. For this purpose, glycerin, baby cream, or castor oil work well.
3 Everyday Tips to Keep Your White Leather Handbag White
When deciding how to clean a white leather handbag at home, do not forget about these simple methods of daily care:
- remove dust with a cloth each time you take your purse out upon return;
- if your purse gets wet, dry it in natural conditions;
- fingerprints, traces of cosmetics, and grease should be removed with a dry clean cloth – it is easier to remove such stains immediately than after a while when they become old and require complex cleaning.
7 Cleaning Tips For White Leather Handbags
- How To Remove Mold Stains
Mix 1 part of methanol with 1 part water. Moisten a cloth with the mixture and wipe the affected area. Let it dry naturally.
- How To Remove Water Stains
If water gets on a white purse, let it dry slowly and naturally. Keep the accessory away from heat. As soon as it dries, apply a leather conditioner to make it soft again.
- How To Remove Salt Stains
If a salt stain appears on a leather bag, make a solution of 3 parts vinegar and 1 part water and apply it to the stain.
- How To Remove Street Dirt
It can be removed with soapy water. Dilute baby soap in warm water and add a few drops of ammonia. Gently wipe off the stain, making sure leather doesn’t absorb the solution. After removing the stains, wipe the bag with a clean, dry cloth. If the stain was large, put a newspaper inside the bag and let it dry in the shade.
- How To Remove Ink Stains
Spray hairspray on the affected area to reduce ink stains. Then wipe it off with a clean cloth. Or moisten a cotton pad in lemon juice and apply to the affected area. Use a slightly damp cloth to remove any remaining ink.
- How To Deal with Discoloration
Cut an onion in half. Wipe the stain by moving the onion in a circle from the edge to the center. That way you will get rid of gray spots on white leather. After that, wipe the area with a slightly damp cloth and let the purse dry.
A special shampoo or baby soap can also help you restore the white color of the handbag. In order to prevent stains on the leather, wipe the bag with a special shampoo once a month. Then apply a colorless cream and polish thoroughly with a flannel cloth.
- How To Remove Bloodstains
If the stains are old, then it is quite difficult to remove them, and if the bloodstains are fresh, then try to clean them with a damp and clean cloth.
And remember to always spot test your cleaning product on a small invisible part of the leather before applying it to the whole purse.
If you have a Louis Vuitton purse, here you can find more tips on how to safely clean a Louis Vuitton bag at home.
And here is a video tutorial on how to clean your luxury bag zippers.
Knowing how to properly store your bag while you are not using it is also very important, that is why here we listed some recommendations on How to Store Your Designer Bags.
Even though now you know how to clean your white luxury handbag and make sure it stays white, the best solution is to prevent it from getting dirty or stained. Treat the leather with care, and it will serve you faithfully for many years.
And the proof of that is the abundance of white bags in excellent on the second-hand market. Be sure to check our stock at the Bagaholic store. But when buying a pre-loved luxury bag, don't forget to get it authenticated first.
If you need to authenticate a Louis Vuitton/Dior/Gucci item, please order one of the three types of authentication:
- good when you need a certificate for any reason,
- good when you need a certificate for any reason, either to sell the bag with the peace of mind or to return a fake bag to the seller if you purchased a fake
- includes a permanent certificate on lvbagaholic.com
- good when you need a certificate and you need to know why the bag is authentic/not authentic for any reason, either to sell the bag with the peace of mind or return a fake bag to the seller if you purchased a fake.
- includes a permanent certificate on lvbagaholic.com
- includes an explanation of why the item is fake (detailed pictures and comparisons with an authentic bag, more than 10 pics included)
PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW